Now that Fall is here and my thoughts turn to Halloween and Thanksgiving, I have pumpkins on my mind. Specifically a Pumpkin Teapot, perfect for serving tea now.
I love this one from American Tea Room:
It is a cast iron teapot, or tetsubin. It holds 14 ounces and has a pumpkin stem finial on the teapot lid. Cast iron makes a wonderful teapot as it retains heat and is long lasting. They are quite common in Japan, where they originated.
Every order over $60 at American Tea Room receives free shipping. They also offer a free gift with every order.
This weekend is a great time to buy as they are also offering 20% off all orders over $75 when you use the code "Columbus20" at checkout. The offer starts today and runs through Monday October 11. That would be an awesome savings on the pumpkin teapot. Breville and Bodum items are exempt from the offer.
Also if you are in Canada, then enjoy free shipping this Thanksgiving weekend on all orders over $60. This is a $15 value. Please used coupon code "Canada" at checkout. Offer expires on Monday October 11 and also excludes Bodum and Breville items.
Mother's Day is about 2 weeks away. Is your shopping done yet? No? How about a Mother's Day Tea Gift then? Here a few gifts that your Mother will absolutely love to receive.
- Signature White Gift Set - This beautiful tea set comes with a tea pot, two tea cups, three types of American Tea Room teas (including some of my favorites), and three rock candy sugar swizzlers. It comes wrapped in white linen and a navy satin ribbon. The teas include Martinique, Brioche, and Immortal Green.
- Tea Pot - I really think you can never have too many tea pots, especially when getting a style or design that you do not have already. Does Mom have a Cast Iron tea pot yet? These are long lasting, traditional Japanese tea pots that are known for their durability and heat retention.
- Flowering Tea - Instead of flowers, get your Mom these blooms instead. These hand tied teas unfurl to reveal a beautiful tea blossom. You definitely want to steep these in clear glass so that you can watch it happen. Plus it comes in a delightfully wrapped gift box.
Whatever Mother's Day Tea Gift you decide on, she is sure to love the thought and care you placed into picking it out. You can not go wrong with any of the the items above or any of the fine teas available from the American Tea Room.
On this cold and rainy Saturday, after a blissful few days of warm weather and sunshine, my thought turn to teapots. Full of beauty, but also a thing of function. The perfect place to allow tea leaves to steep, creating that wonderful cup of tea that warms the body and soul.
Perhaps a strong and sturdy American Tea Room Signature Black Teapot?
Or a Cast Iron Teapot covered in cherry blossoms to help us look forward to Spring?
This glass teapot is a great way to see the tea as it steeps or to enjoy a flowering tea as it unfolds.
How about Tea for One in this practical teapot?
Yes, I am dreaming of Teapots. Will you join me? Which one is your favorite?
American Tea Room is offering a sale of 20% off their entire stock of teapots. This teapot sale does not require a special coupon code and it runs through 12/31/2009. What a fabulous deal and great timing too. Order some teapots for Holiday gift giving or perhaps a new one for yourself.
The cast iron Tetsubin pictured above is beautiful and functional. Handcrafted with Sakura, or cherry blossoms, it will keep your tea warm longer. Plus it is a teapot that will last for a long time.
American Tea Room offers many different types of teapots, including stainless steel, porcelain, glass, and cast iron. They are sure to have a teapot that fits your style.
They are also running a Sale-a-bration for the rest of December as well. Receive 10% off 2 of the same item or 20% off 4 of the same item. Plus any order over $50 will receive free shipping. These special deals do not require a coupon code. Have fun shopping!
Years ago we received a teapot for Christmas from a relative. We were not really tea drinkers at the time, beyond the usual tea bag of Lipton or Oolong received with Chinese takeout. We used it a couple of times and then it got put into a cabinet and forgotten.
Then we received a package of loose tea and the teapot was remembered. I really wish that I could remember the tea that started us on this whole journey. We pulled out the pot, heated some water on the stove, and brewed it up. And we were hooked.
We've added a few things to our tea arsenal along the way such as this and that, but we still use the teapot. I took a picture today to share with you. It is just a classic white, ceramic teapot. It is probably used at least once a day.
I have dreams of adding a cast iron teapot to the collection sometime. They are great for retaining heat and keeping your tea warm. Plus the Tetsubin are handcrafted and have beautiful designs.
Anyway just wanted to share where our tea cabinet started. Share in the comments below where your love of tea started. We would love to know.
If you are just starting out or are a long time tea drinker, it is always a great idea to have all of the right tools for brewing the perfect pot of tea. Here is our list of the Top 5 Tea Essentials that you should have in your kitchen.
- Tea Kettle. You need hot water when making and having an appliance that is devoted to this task makes it very easy. We currently use this Chef's Choice Tea Kettle. I like that it is stainless steel, shuts off automatically, and will not operate if there is no water in it. It holds 1 3/4 quarts of water, which is perfect for making a pot of tea. It boils water in minutes and is much faster than trying to do so on the stove top and safer than using the microwave. Someday I would love to have the Breville Variable Temperature Kettle, as it brings water to 5 different temperatures no thermometer required. This is a great feature for tea making as different types of teas need different temperatures of water for the perfect steep. For now the Chef's Choice is a great tea kettle though.
- Teapot. When brewing loose leaf tea, it is necessary to have place for the tea to brew. Tea leaves that have a chance to open, infuse the water with more flavor than your standard teabag tea. There are many different ones to choose from, made from a variety of materials. The standard teapot is ceramic, but there are also glass, stainless steel, and cast iron ones.
- Infuser/Strainer. Many people that brew loose leaf tea prefer to steep their tea inside of an infuser basket. These generally sit within the lip of the teapot and then can be pulled out when the tea is done steeping. We prefer brewing the tea loose inside of the pot and then pouring the tea through a stainer into a tea cup. We are currently using the Rösle Tea Strainer and absolutely love it. It is a very fine mesh, so even the smallest of tea leaves do not get through.
- Tea cups. It is always nice to have an assortment of teacup to choose from. Sometimes you want a large cup of tea and other times it is nice to have some smaller cups to share a pot of tea with friends. It is all up to you to have all matching cups or an oddball assortment of cups to choose from. Our tea cabinet has a collection of tea cups and mugs that we have gathered over the years.
- Tea. This is definitely the most important component of all to making a great cup of tea. All teas are definitely not created equal. Personal preference is also a very important part of deciding just what kind of tea you are going to keep in your tea cabinet. Some of our favorite teas come from Teavana and the American Tea Room. We will be giving reviews of them in future posts.
We hope that gives you a little peak into what we keep in our tea cabinet. These are definitely the tea essentials that you need in order to brew a great cup of tea.